Saturday, July 4, 2015

Closing thoughts and would I do it again?

What a great trip! Each stop was like a small mini-adventure. Finding the charger. Would the charger work? Meeting the people. Checking out the place while Evie charged. I wished we had more time for hotels along the way, but it wasn't that bad.

Some things you'll want to consider for your trip:

Tolls: Depending on your route, you will probably encounter tolls. Try to purchase one of those toll ID units that will bill your account as you travel. This way you can just keep rolling. Here's the one I used.

http://www.illinoistollway.com/tolls-and-i-pass/about-i-pass/using-i-pass-on-other-toll-systems


Luggage: I found this rear cargo bag on Amazon. It worked great all the way up to Boston, but it started to tear and eventually fell down while I was on a highway somewhere in NC. Pretty scary but nothing was lost and no one was hurt - thankfully. It allowed me to comfortable keep my dog in the cargo area rather than fill it with luggage. If I used it again, I would reinforce with extra straps and bungee cords. If you're interested, you can check here:

http://www.amazon.com/Rightline-Gear-100B90-Cargo-Saddlebag/dp/B0009NWQWI/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1436032701&sr=1-7


Charging options: You'll want to make sure you have cards/apps for all the major networks. Blink, ChargePoint, Greenlots, SemaConnect, nrg. Also consider upgrading the standard charging cord that came with your vehicle. This will give you options to charge at non-standard outlets like RV and dryer outlets. More information here:

http://www.evseupgrade.com/


Would I do it again? Absolutely. Evie and I will have more adventures ahead. Stay tuned and feel free to ask any questions. Thanks for reading! rj

2 comments:

  1. I will do it when they come out with the affordable 200 mile range EV's. Too much hassle for me now.

    ReplyDelete