Friday, July 3, 2015

Observations from the road

So halfway through the trip, I realized some things...

The Kia ChargeUp Card: Here at home, I've been able to use it, but on the road it would not work. I had to rely on the individual apps and network cards. Don't try to just rely on the ChargeUp.

PlugShare app: Get to know how to use filters so you can just look at QCs and/or just look at L2s. I almost missed a great QC location because it was hidden behind a bunch of L2s. When you're on the road, always expect that the QC you're driving to will not work and have a back up plan. Try to target areas that have multiple QCs and/or L2s within reach. Also scan previous check-ins for a QC that may be questionable or frequently ICE'd.

ECO monitors: Kia gives you some good in-drive tools to help squeeze the most mileage out of your battery. Take some time to explore the ECO menu and cycle through the energy/mileage screens accessible through the steering button.

Range anxiety: By now I've had enough times when the yellow turtle is blinking and Evie is begging for a charge. One day I was on my final kilowatt and Evie switched down to bare-bones wheel crawl. It was just what I needed to get over a hill and coast into an L2. It was really heart-pounding, but it also helped me learn the boundaries. So go ahead, one day take it down to 3% (or worse in my case). It really helps you to drive your car with confidence.

Georgia is way ahead in EV: The further north we pushed, the more questions I got from dealers and folks just trying to understand what it was to drive electric. The only electric car I saw was an occasional Tesla and they were all coming from the west coast. I guess I expected more, but I found we have better infrastructure here (and we've still got a ways to go).

I REALLY, REALLY appreciate the design and engine: So I'm going to brag on Kia here a bit. I'm over 6'5" and every time I get out, people are always amazed. I mean for this over 2500 mile road trip, Evie carried my entire family (5), the dog and luggage!! Not only that, she handled great on the highway and in the city. I rode with the big rigs at 70+ and could maneuver traffic as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment